Log In | Contact Us| View Cart (0)
Browse: Collections Digital Content Subjects Creators Record Groups

Frost, Charles S. (Charles Sumner) (1856-1931) | Lake Forest College Archives and Special Collections

Name: Frost, Charles S. (Charles Sumner) (1856-1931)


Historical Note:

Charles S. Frost was a native of Maine, attended MIT 's architecture progam (grad. 1876), worked for Peabody & Stearns, Boston, and was called to Chicago in 1882 to join Henry Ives Cobb, a former Peabody & Stearns colleague, in a new firm, Cobb & Frost (1882-1889).  Major projects included an Pera House, Chicago, that advanced development of metal skeleton framing (1885, demol.); the Potter Palmer mansion Lakev Shore Drive (1882, demol.); the Firest Presbyterian Church of Lake Forest (1887); espansion of Ferry Hall, Lake Forest (1888, Chapel reused as a residence surviving). Frost practice independently until 1898, specializing in railraod stations, when he joined his brother-in-law, Alfred H. Granger, in a new firm, Frost & Granger (1898-1909).  Notable works include the LF City Hall (1899); Lois Hall, Lake Forest College, 1899); lice Home Hospital, Lake Forest College campus (1899, demol.); Holt Chapel and Reid Hall, Lake Forest College (1900); etc.  After 1909 Frost practiced alone again, living in his Lake Forest home he'd deisgned in 1897, "Eastover."  His major later work was Chicago's lakefront Navy Pier (1916), modeled on the 1878 Exposition Trocadero, Paris (replaed in the 1930s by the Palaise de Chaillot, across the Seine from the Eiffel Tower).  Frost also continued working on the Presbyterian Church, lake Forest, with additions in 1905 and 1917.  Hevwas noted for his engineering problem-solving.

For more information, see the Special Collections People reference file under his name and under Cobb & Frost and Frost & Granger.






Page Generated in: 0.152 seconds (using 113 queries).
Using 6.17MB of memory. (Peak of 6.25MB.)

Powered by Archon Version 3.20
Copyright ©2011 The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign