Log In | Contact Us| View Cart (0)
Browse: Collections Digital Content Subjects Creators Record Groups

Hale, Rosemary D. (1918-2008) | Lake Forest College Archives and Special Collections

Name: Hale, Rosemary D. (1918-2008)
Fuller Form: Hale, Rosemary Danes


Historical Note:

Rosemary D. Hale, James D. Vail Professor of Economics Emerita, joined the Lake Forest College faculty part-time as an instructor and lecturer in 1946.  She was teaching full-time by the 1970s, chairing the Dept. of Economics and re-instituting a Business major by the early 1980s. As a rigorous but nurturing teacher, she used tough love often for student athletes (and others) who had to get through her gatekeeper, rigorous Micro-economics class to become an Economics major.  With Politics professor Paul Fischer she founded the internship program in 1974 and played a key role in the 1974-launched Wood Institute for Local and Regional Studies. She retired as chair of her dept. in 1984. 

Her own undergraduate work was in her native east coast region, at Mount Holyoke (B.A. 1940).  With DC war work in intelligence  (Latin America), by 1946 she was also the recipient of an M.A. in Economics from American University, Washington, DC.  With her husband George E. Hale she co-authored one book, Market Power: Size and Shape Under the Sherman Act (Little Brown, 1958), and numerous scholarly journal and other periodical articles.

Professor hale was born June 7, 1918 at Brewster, New York.  She married George Hale at Fort Meyer, virginia on September 13, 1942. 

On this campus Rosemary Hale was a relatively early model of a woman faculty member known for her rigorous and inspiring teaching, her scholarly accomplishment, her administrative ability, and her balancing of her academic and her family/social lives.  She and her husband George (1913-1990), besides functioning as scholarly partners, raised three daughters in Lake  Forest: Margaret Hale Teaford, Eunice Hale Shields, and Marion Hale.

In retirement Rosemary and George Hale co-authored, with old friends the Uri B. Grannises, Visiting the Midwest's Historic Preservation Sites (Ottawa, IL: Jameson Books, 1991). This is a rigorous and lean guide to its subject, its accomplishments somewhat understated by its title and less than well served by its limited distribution. It deserves to be more widely known.     

By the end of the 1990s Rosemary Hale was living at the new Lake Forest Place (Presbyterian Homes), having moved out of  the 1950s modernist house the family had built.  In that new local community she thrived, entertained in her charming apartment, and continued to collect books and to read until her death, and visited the campus for its April 2008 Student Symposium.

Sources:

Archives files and personal recollections.

"George E. Hale," Chicago Tribune, June 24, 1990.

Note Author: Arthur H. Miller, Archivist and Librarian for Special Collections, amiller@lakeforest.edu





Page Generated in: 0.15 seconds (using 107 queries).
Using 6.17MB of memory. (Peak of 6.24MB.)

Powered by Archon Version 3.20
Copyright ©2011 The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign